Hardwood floors are one the best flooring options due to their durability and timeless style. However, improper use and lack of maintenance can cause them to wear off prematurely. While hardwood floors are every homeowner’s priority for a home renovation project, many people often overlook their maintenance and upkeep. Consider this guide to learn everything about hardwood floors and their maintenance.
FAQs for Hardwood Flooring
1. What is the difference between unfinished and prefinished flooring?
Prefinished hardwood has an aluminum oxide coating applied from the factory. It protects the flooring from wearing out prematurely and extends its lifespan significantly.
On the contrary, unfinished wood is sealed after contractors install the flooring in your home. In any case, sealing hardwood floors is important to prevent above-floor moisture damage.
2. What does it mean to acclimate hardwood floors?
Acclimating hardwood floors means leaving the planks in the room they will be installed in for a few days, allowing the natural material to get accustomed to the room’s atmosphere. While acclimating wood guarantees better floor installation, homeowners must treat areas with high humidity levels to prolong the longevity of their wood flooring. Thus, install dehumidifiers in your home to control your room’s moisture content.
3. What are the symptoms of moisture damage?
Moisture damage is one of the most common problems homeowners encounter with their hardwood flooring systems. Look out for the following symptoms of moisture damage and resolve the issue at your earliest:
- Cracked woken planks
- Space between the wooden planks
Use mops to clear away any water spills immediately. Don’t let the water rest on your hardwood floor’s surface, as it could seep to the subfloor and damage your home’s structural integrity over time.
Also know about Dear Abby
4. Can I install hardwood flooring in my basement?
Any area with high moisture levels should have an engineered hardwood flooring system. This includes basements, kitchens, bathrooms, laundry areas, etc. Solid hardwood isn’t water-resistant and can expand or contract due to excessive moisture.
5. What are the best ways to clean and maintain natural hardwood?
Natural hardwood can last several years with proper care and maintenance. On the contrary, improper cleaning techniques can damage them prematurely. The best ways to clean your hardwood floors are as follows:
- Avoid using too much oil on the floorboards to maintain their luster and visual appeal. Opt for dustless refinishing or polishing services to restore their original shine and appearance.
- Don’t use glass cleaners or steamers to clean your wood flooring, as the moisture could damage your floor’s integrity.
- Sweep your flooring daily.
Image Filename: champagne-glass-spilling-dark-drink.
Image Alt-Text: A champagne glass spilling a dark-colored drink.
- Use damp mops to wipe away stains, dust, grime, and dirt.
- Install door mats to limit dirt indoors.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals or bleaching agents for cleaning your wood flooring, as it could result in discoloration.
- Avoid scrubbing your floorboards as they could leave marks and scratches. Use soft-bristled brooms to clear away accumulated dust.
- Limit heavy foot traffic in areas consisting of hardwood flooring as it could result in dents, scratches, and abrasions.
6. Why should I consider laminate or engineered wood flooring?
Laminate flooring is an inexpensive replacement for the costly hardwood flooring design. It requires an underlayment to maintain its durability and reflect natural textures affordably.
Engineered hardwood is water-resistant. It looks like natural hardwood but is more durable and stronger. Thus, people with a limited budget should consider engineered hardwood or laminate flooring to enhance their indoor aesthetics efficiently.
7. How do I install hardwood flooring?
While many online platforms recommend DIY installation, it’s better to leave the job to the professionals. Certified flooring companies have experienced teams who handle flooring installation projects professionally. Therefore, search for the right flooring contractors to ensure proper installation and prevent future repairs.
8. What are the benefits of hardwood flooring?
Image Filename: man-mopping-hardwood-floor.
Image Alt-Text: A man mopping hardwood floor.
Hardwood floors offer homeowners a great many benefits. They increase your home’s property value, are easy to clean and maintain, have various installation methods, and can be customized to meet your family’s needs. Furthermore, natural hardwood is durable and brings warmth and coziness to your space. It’s hypoallergenic and an ideal solution to minimizing health concerns for you and your family.
Also read: Tweakvip – Free for iOS and Android.
Get Your Floor Installed By Experts in Seattle.
Five Star Hardwood Floor is a one-stop solution to Seattle residents’ wood flooring needs. Apart from floor installation and dustless floor refinishing, they offer additional services such as finishing touches on doors and windows. Contact them today for more information.
About the Author
The author is an interior design expert in Seattle associated with Five Star Hardwood Floor.