There is a guideline of ethics that all professionals should follow to conduct their duties in the best way. These guidelines mentioned in detail in the points to come are called “Code of Ethics”. The people from the medical sector and especially Long Island weight loss surgeons, have to follow them to perform the surgery in the right procedure.
General Information About Long Island Weight Loss Surgery Ethics
Before explaining the reasons and the details of the code of ethics, it is vital to know a few general information that will help gain insight into the purpose of these codes and the responsibilities of surgeons towards patients and the community.
- The codes of ethics are a guidebook that instructs doctors and surgeons on behaving professionally with patients, colleagues, and the public. What should be the attitude during a surgical procedure?
- The foremost responsibility of surgeons is to consider the interest of patients. The surgeons doing overstitch procedure have to look into the patients’ medical history and make an appropriate surgery selection.
- Often, patients only visit a clinic or medical facility to decide whether they are suitable candidates for the weight loss surgery and are unwilling to have the surgery just then. The surgeons should provide guidance and counsel to the patients regardless of whether they will come back for the surgery or not.
Why Should Surgeons Follow a Strict Code of Ethics?
The surgeons must follow the codes of ethics to help the medical professionals perform surgeries in the right way. The patients will have information about different aspects of weight loss surgery.
- When patients know that the surgeon has given the right information, the patients will trust the surgeons. This will strengthen the bond and relationship between the patients and the surgeon. Mutual trust will build the confidence of surgeons.
- One of the codes of ethics is that the surgeon provides all information about the different types of weight loss surgeries to the patients. In this way, patients’ knowledge expands, and they can make the right choices.
- The surgeons can conduct the surgery with a clear conscience because they are mentally satisfied and have followed the codes of ethics mentioned below. Also, they will be content that they have made the decisions.
Code of Ethics for Surgeons Doing Overstitch Procedure
Before medical care professionals start their practice, they must take the Hippocratic Oath. This oath ensures that the surgeons and doctors follow the right code of conduct. Some of the most important codes of ethics for surgeons at different medical facilities like Li Obesity Surgery are mentioned in the below points.
Surgeons Increase Their Knowledge
Although education should not stop for all professionals, it is most important for surgeons to keep learning about new weight loss surgery procedures. Knowing about the latest developments will help surgeons understand the surgery, the risk factors, complications, and how to manage them.
Keeping Information of Patients Classified
A major violation of the code of ethics is that the surgeon discusses the weight loss surgery details with strangers or unauthorized persons. The surgeons should only discuss the surgery details with the patients, their immediate family, and the people who the patients authorize.
Providing the Right Information
It is one of the important duties of surgeons to provide the right information to the patients and their loved ones. This information includes the types of weight loss surgeries, the risks involved, factors that might increase complications, the benefits, and precautions to take during and afterward.
Never Display Biased Behavior
When the surgeons take the Hippocratic Oath, they swear to treat patients without discrimination of age, gender, race, religion, and social status. The weight loss surgery surgeons should treat everyone professionally, never displaying biased feelings.
The patients need to know that the Long Island weight loss surgeons follow the ethics code mentioned above. Patients will be satisfied that they are getting the right treatment and trust the surgeons.
Below are three further questions that will help understand the code of ethics in a better way.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 4 pillars of medical ethics?
The four main pillars of the medical code of ethics that surgeons at Long Island weight loss clinics have to follow should include respecting the choices and rights of the patients, displaying professional behavior, not doing bad to others, and treating patients with equality.
What are the code of ethics?
The code of ethics are a set of principles that guide the medical care professionals and especially the surgeons on how to behave and treat patients without displaying any discrimination.
What is the basic purpose of a code of ethics for a profession?
The basic purpose of the code of ethics is to guide surgeons on different aspects of conducting a surgery how they should behave with patients, fellow practitioners, and the general public. Also, what the patients should expect from the surgeons.